The University is seeking highly qualified, dedicated and academically productive faculty members from Indian Nationals who have strong commitment in innovative teaching and high quality research in the following subjects/disciplines for appointment on regular basis.
- The applicant must ensure that he/she fulfils the eligibility conditions for the post
- Candidates with requisite qualifications and experience acquired from recognized University/Institutions need only apply.
- Minimum eligibility for each position is governed by the Regulations prescribed by the UGC/ AICTE/ NCTE/Pondicherry University from time to time in this regard. Notification and qualifications specific to individual positions are given at www.pondiuni.edu.in
- Any changes/corrigendum/amendments/updation/cancellation notice related to the recruitment process shall be published on official website of Pondicherry University (www.pondiuni.edu.in) only and not in the newspapers. Therefore, candidates are advised to check the University Website regularly.
- Candidates are advised to fill up the online application carefully and provide the information as required. Candidates can contact Helpline in case of any difficulty in filling up the application Form.
- Eligibility Criteria:- The eligibly shall be ascertained strictly on the basis of Academic/Research Score obtained as per Appendix II Table: 2 and Table 3(a) of UGC Regulations, 2018 subject to fulfilling all the essential eligibility criteria as mentioned for Direct Recruitment on the post of Professor, Associate Professor and Assistant Professor in the UGC Regulations, 2018.
6.1. Visit UGC
6.2. Visit AICTE
6.3. Area of Specialization and eligibility of specific posts
6.4. API Score calculation for Associate Professors (Table 2)
6.5. API Score calculation for Assistant Professors (Table 3 A)
- Mere possession of eligibility conditions shall not entitle a candidate to be called for interview. The cut-off date for determining the eligibility of all candidates in every respect shall be the closing date as prescribed in the advertisement for receipt of the applications. In other words no candidate shall be called for interview if he/she does not possess the minimum qualification and experience etc. as on the last date of the application for a particular post.
- The National Eligibility Test (NET) or an accredited test (State Level Eligibility Test SLET/SET) shall remain the minimum eligibility for appointment of Assistant Professor and equivalent positions wherever provided in these Regulations. Further, SLET/SET shall be valid as the minimum eligibility for direct recruitment to Universities/Colleges/Institutions in the respective state only.
Provided that the candidates who have been awarded a Ph.D. Degree in accordance with the UGC (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of M.Phil./Ph.D. Degree) Regulation, 2009 or the UGC (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of M.Phil/Ph.D. Degree) Regulation,2016, and their subsequent amendments from time to time, as the case may be, shall be exempted from the minimum eligibility condition of NET/SLET/SET for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professor or any equivalent position in any University, College or Institution.
Provided further that the award of degree to candidates registered for the M.Phil/Ph.D programme prior to July 11, 2009, shall be governed by the provisions of the then existing Ordinances / Bye-laws / Regulations of the Institutions awarding the degree.
All such Ph.D. degree holders shall be exempted from the requirement of NET/SLET/SET for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professor or equivalent positions in Universities/Colleges/Institutions subject to the fulfillment of the following conditions:
a) The Ph.D. degree of the candidate has been awarded in regular mode only;
b) The Ph.D. thesis has been adjudicated by at least two external examiners;
c) An open Ph.D. viva voce of the candidate has been conducted;
d) The candidate has published two research papers from his/her Ph.D. work out of which at least one is in a refereed journal;
e) The candidate has presented at least two papers, based on his/her Ph.D. work in conferences/seminars sponsored/funded/supported by the UGC/ ICSSR/CSIR or any similar national or international agency.
The fulfillment of these conditions is to be certified by the Registrar or the Dean (Academic Affairs) of the University concerned.
- NET/SLET/SET qualification shall not be required for candidates in such disciplines for which NET/SLET/SET has not been conducted.
- A minimum of 55% marks (or an equivalent grade in a point-scale, wherever the grading system is followed) at the Master‘s level shall be the essential qualification for direct recruitment of teachers and other equivalent cadres at any level.
- A relaxation of 5% shall be allowed at the Bachelor’s as well as at the Master‘s level for the candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe/Other Backward Classes (OBC)(Non-creamy Layer)/Differentlyabled ((a) Blindness and low vision; (b) Deaf and Hard of Hearing; (c) Locomotor disability including cerebral palsy, leprosy cured, dwarfism, acid-attack victims and muscular dystrophy; (d) Autism, intellectual disability, specific learning disability and mental illness; (e) Multiple disabilities from amongst persons under (a) to (d) including deaf-blindness) for the purpose of eligibility and assessing good academic record for direct recruitment. The eligibility marks of 55% marks (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever the grading system is followed) and the relaxation of 5% to the categories mentioned above are permissible, based only on the qualifying marks without including any grace mark procedure.
- A relaxation of 5% shall be provided, (from 55% to 50% marks) to the Ph.D. degree holders who have obtained their Master‘s degree prior to 19TH September, 1991.
- A relevant grade equivalent of 55% marks, wherever the grading system is followed by a recognized university, at the Master‘s level shall also be considered valid.
- The Ph.D. degree shall be a mandatory qualification for appointment to the post of Professor/ Associate Professor.
- The time taken by candidates to acquire M.Phil. and / or Ph.D. degree shall not be considered as teaching/ research experience to be claimed for appointment to the teaching positions. Further the period of active service spent on pursuing research degree simultaneously with teaching assignment without taking any kind of leave, shall be counted as teaching experience for the purpose of direct recruitment.
- No person shall be appointed to the post of University and College teacher, Librarian or Director of Physical Education and Sports, in any university or in any of institutions including constituent or affiliated colleges recognized under clause (f) of Section 2 of the UGC Act, 1956 or in an institution deemed to be a University under Section 3 of the said Act if such person does not fulfill the required qualifications for the appropriate post as provided in the Schedule 1 of these Regulations.
- API format as per the UGC regulations, 2018 as amended from time to time.
- Do not upload copies of papers which have been submitted or which have not yet been published or have not been accepted for publication. These will not be counted to assess the API Score.
- A Good Academic Record means a minimum of 50% Marks in each of the public examinations beginning 12th grade.
- Percentage equivalence of Grade Points on a scale of seven as per the UGC Guidelines dated 30.06.2010 is as follows:
It is hereby clarified that where the University/College/Institution declare results in grade points which is on scale of seven, the following yardstick shall be adopted to determine equivalent marks in percentage.GradeGrade PointPercentage Equivalent‘O’ – Outstanding5.50 - 6.0075 -100‘A’ – Very Good4.50 - 5.4965 - 74‘B’ – Good3.50 - 4.4955 - 64‘C’ – Average2.50 - 3.4945 - 54‘D’ – Below Average1.50 - 2.4935 - 44‘E’ – Poor0.50 - 1.4925 - 34‘F’ – Fail0 - 0.490 - 24
- Candidates may note that the qualification as amended by the UGC from time to time shall be applicable. Candidates are advised to check UGC website (www.ugc.ac.in) for updated information.
- The direct recruitment to the posts of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor in the University shall be on the basis of merit through all India advertisement, screening and selection procedure by the duly constituted Committees in accordance with the provisions given in the UGC Regulations, 2018/NCTE Regulations (as the case may be) as amended from time to time, and provisions given in the University Act/Statutes/Ordinances/Rules etc.
- Excellent academic background, high quality publications, potential to get research funding from Government agencies and industries, appropriate academic Professional activities undertaken and a good innovative teaching record will be some of the important criteria for the selection of faculty members.
- Applicants having ability to carry out interdisciplinary teaching and research and experience in developing e-content courses may be given preference.
- Appointed teachers may be assigned other academic or administrative responsibilities in addition to their regular teaching and research including development of Distance Education courses, etc.,
- At present, the UGC and the University rules prescribe the following teaching load of up to 16 hours per week for Assistant Professors and up to 14 hours for Associate Professors and Professors. Teachers should also be prepared to teach all the basic courses in their subject and related areas which may not be necessarily in their specialization.
- Any candidate, who has applied earlier informally and sent his/her biodata/academic vitae to the Vice-Chancellor or any other competent authority of the University through e-mail / post, will not be considered under any circumstances, must formally apply following the above procedures.
- Candidates are urged to give as much details of their academic accomplishments as possible by attaching certificates, testimonials, brief write up on awards/ research highlights, citations index of their publications, awards and honors received.
- Salary, terms and conditions of services and superannuation will be according to the UGC norms as amended from time to time. Candidates selected against a post shall be required to sign service agreement as prescribed by the University/UGC on joining.
(Andaman & Nicobar Islands) 3(SC-1)13Central Instrumentation Facility1(SC) 14Biotechnology11(ST) 15Food Science & Technology21(ST)1(OBC)16Bioinformatics 1(SC) 17French1(SC)1(ST) 18Physical Education & Sports1 19Anthropology1(ST) 20Politics and International Studies 2(ST-1) 21Centre for Women Studies1(SC)12(ST-1)22Centre for European Studies #1(SC)#1(OBC)23South Asian Studies11 24Centre for Study of Social Exclusion & Inclusive Policy1(SC)2(ST-1) 25Library & Information Sciences 1(SC) 26Electronic Media & Mass Communication11 27Nanoscience & Technology1 28Green Energy Technology1 29Computer Sciences2(SC-1)3(ST-1) 30Electronics Engineering1 31Centre for Pollution Control & Env. Engg. 21 (OBC)32Academic Staff College **1(SC-PH)Pondicherry University Centre, Karaikal 33Commerce (Karaikal Centre)1(SC) 34Computer Sciences (Karaikal Centre)1(ST)1 Pondicherry University Community College, Lawspet, Puducherry -835English (Community College ) 1(SC)36Computer Science (Community College ) 1(ST)
# Tenure period for 5 years
**Will be recruited under time scale and service will continue from Plan to Plan period
Applications received with reference to earlier advertisements dated 09.05.2011 & corrigendum dated 14.06.2011 but not called for interview so far, will not be considered for further process. Hence, candidates may apply again subject to fulfillment of eligibility conditions as prescribed in the UGC Regulations, 2010 as amended from time to time and also subject to availability of vacancies.
For further details of Application Form, Pro-forma for Certificate Verification, API Format, Terms & Conditions, Etc., please visit the University Website www.pondiuni.edu.in.
The Qualifications and other conditions prescribed in the advertisement are subject to the regulations/norms stipulated by the MHRD/UGC from time to time. As regards the broad eligibility criteria, the UGC website www.ugc.ac.in may please be referred to.
The prescribed essential qualifications are the minimum and the mere possession of the same does not entitle candidates to be called for interview. Where the number of applications received in response to our advertisement is large and it will not be convenient or possible to call and interview all the eligible candidates, the University, at its discretion, may restrict the number of candidates to a reasonable limit on the basis of qualifications/experience higher than the minimum prescribed in the advertisement. The criteria for shortlisting and cut-off bench-mark depends on the number of applications. Being a Central University maintaining high standards of teaching and research, possession of Ph.D degree, good research publications, good communication skill, depth of subject knowledge and consistantly good academic record will be the main criteria for selections. For the positions of Professor, a candidate is expected to have successfully guided Ph.D candidates.
As the University has already fulfilled the reserved posts under OH category, the post earmarked for Physically Challenged category in this advt. will be first considered for the Visually Challenged(VH) candidates only. If suitable VH candidates are not available, these posts will be filled by OH candidates.
Last date for receiving the application is 31.07.2012.
Registrar Vice - Chancellor