The Computer Centre was established in the year 1992 under a sanction by the UGC. As a central facility, it caters to the teaching/ learning, research needs of various Schools, Departments, Centres, UGC-HRDC, Directorates, Community College and also the needs of administrative sections of the University.
As an academic centre it is primarily catering to the teaching/learning and research needs of the various departments of the University in the areas of ICT and especially that of Computer Science department. The Centre is engaged in
- Teaching/learning programmes of the department of Computer Science
- Establishment and management of the IT infrastructure of the University
- Offering IT Enabled Services (ITES) to the University Community
- In-house software requirements and Training in the areas of ICT
The Centre works on all days of the year including holidays.
Systems Manager & Head
Marie Stanislas Ashok
Senior Technical Assistant
Senior Technical Assistant
Senior Technical Assistant
The Computer Centre staff regularly offer courses to the students of Department of Computer Science ever since its inception in the year 1992. It also offers project guidance for M.Tech. (Computer Science & Engg.), M.Tech. (Network & Internet Engineering), M.C.A. and M.Sc. (Computer Science) students.
Besides it has handled courses for programmes offered by Library & Information Sciences, Centre for Electronic Media, Statistics, Banking Technology and International Business. Staff of the centre also serve as members of :
- Programme Committee in Computer Science Department
- Board of Studies in Computer Science & Engineering
- Board of Examiners in Computer Science & Engineering
The Centre offers support for the establishment/conduct of computer labs for other Non-Computer Science departments such as Physics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences and Management.
The Centre staff are actively involved in research in collaboration with the Dept. of Computer Science and published several research papers in various International Journals/Conferences.
The Centre offers one year Apprenticeship Training (PASAA) to candidates who passed out of ITI – COPA Trade as per the mandatory requirements of the Ministry of Labor, Govt. of India since 2006. The Centre has trained so far 9 batches of apprentices successfully and also assisted them in placement. All India Trade Test for this training is also conducted by the Computer Centre.
- The campus-wide computer network – Intranet was first established in the year 1998 connecting the then existing 4 buildings on the campus through Optic Fibre Cable (OFC). By the year 2005, the intranet connected 9 buildings
- In the year 2008, a major thrust was given to networking under the Integrated Communications Network (ICN) project and connected 47 buildings on the campus situated on either side of the East Coast Road
- This network integrates data, voice and video (IP enabled) services. The network is gigabit switched one with Optic Fibre Cable (OFC) running to a distance of about 31kms
- Each building is provided with Structured Data Cabling (SDC) for wired access
- VoIP phones are provided, using SIP server, Communication Gateway and Communication Manager and SIP Phones in all the recently constructed buildings
- In the year 2010-2011 the schools/departments/centres and the Academic Staff College (ASC) in the newly established Silver Jubilee Campus (110 acres) got connected through ICN Phase 2 project
- Campus wide Wi-Fi enabled services provide extended access to resources on the network on anywhere, anytime basis
Internet access is being provided through intranet since the year 2001 and the bandwidth has steadily been enhanced, over the years, to meet the growing needs of the University from 1 Mbps to 240 Mbps. This is provided all through the year on 24 x 7 basis.
|1||2014-2015||240 Mbps (1:1)||M/s BSNL|
|2||2013-2014||220 Mbps (1:1)||M/s BSNL|
|3||2012-2013||220 Mbps (1:1)||M/s BSNL|
|4||2011-2012||200 Mbps (1:1)||M/s BSNL|
|5||2010 – 2011||64 Mbps (1:1)||M/s BSNL|
|6||2009 – 2010||32 Mbps (1:1)||M/s BSNL|
|7||2008 – 2009||8 Mbps (1:2)||M/s STPI|
|8||2007 – 2008||8 Mbps (1:2)||M/s STPI|
|9||2006 – 2007||8 Mbps (1:2)||M/s STPI|
Pondicherry University is connected to the National Knowledge Network (NKN) since January 12, 2011. All online journals hitherto rendered by UGC- Infonet consortia are now made available on NKN. This network helps to foster closer collaboration with all the members of the knowledge network – universities, colleges and premier research institutions across the country through intranet, thereby saving enormous costs.
Computer Centre is the nodal centre for NKN.
- The Computer Centre assisted in the establishment of EDUSAT for the UGC Academic Staff College now known as HRDC.
- The services under EDUSAT are made available to the university community, especially to the participants of various programmes conducted by the Academic Staff College
- Orientation on usage of EDUSAT services provided to participants who attended various orientation / refresher programmes
Computer Labs Established
COMPUTER LABS ESTABLISHED
The Centre assisted in the design and establishment of computer labs for the various departments as per the decision of the University Administration.
|Year||Name of Dept./Centre|
IN-HOUSE SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT
Software developed In-house
- Grade Sheet Processing for Academic Section
- Faculty Recruitment System – Recruitment Cell
- On-line Application for Admissions to all PG and Research programmes using FOSS tools launched in 2006
- On line Results Publication – Arts & Science, Engineering, Medical, Entrance Results, etc using FOSS tools
- Web portal of Pondicherry University, DDE and Academic Staff College using FOSS tools in June 2007, later revamped in the year 2009 and 2011
- Complaint Tracking System (Best Student Project Award from TCS) using FOSS tools developed and launched in June 2010
- Mail Server built using Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) tools and launched in the year 2007
- Web site for Puduvai Vaani Community Radio Station (CRS) launched in December 2009
- Electrical Engineering Management System for Electrical Services launched in December 2013
Developed by outsourcing (development only)
- New Web portal of the University as per Web 2.0 developed and launched in August 2011
- Online Registration for Examinations (B.Tech.) in the year 2009-2010 using open source tools
- Hostel Management System launched in June 2011
- Results Processing System for Academic Section May 2011
- Public Grievances Redressal launched in the year 2012
- Purchase Automation (under testing & implementation)
- Hindi version of the University web portal launched in 2012
- Development of new web portal with Online payment for students of DDE in June 2013
- New Web portal for Affiliation Wing
- On-line Application for Admissions to all P.G and Ph.D programmes launched in 2014
- Surveillance security system launched in 2014
DNS REGISTRATION, WEB HOSTING & SERVER LOCATING SERVICES
DNS Registration services for various units of the University are rendered by the Computer Centre such as :
- Directorate of Culture and Cultural Relations ( www.pucul.edu.in and www.puelearn.edu.in)
- Academic Staff College (www.ascpu.edu.in)
- Mass Communications (www.puinquirer.edu.in)
Computer Centre also does Web content hosting for the various units of the University: UGC ASC, Dean Students Welfare, Alumni, FM Community Radio Station, Directorate of Distance Education, Community College
Service co-ordination is offered by the Centre for the maintenance of
- Computer Systems & Peripherals
- Campus Networking
- SIP Phones
- Conduct of regular User Awareness programmes for the faculty, research scholars and students and non-teaching staff of the University on ICT, Wi Fi usage, SIP phones, etc.
- Conducted 3-weeks training programmes for the non-teaching staff of the University on ICT, electronic document preparation using MS Word, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint
- Attended 10 days training progamme on Multimedia at Electronic Media & Multimedia Research Centre from 27th May.2013 to 6th June 2013
- Conducted 1 day training programme on “VM Ware” on 14th June 2013
- Conducted 1 day training programme on Electrical Engineering Management System for Electrical Services on 3rd July 2013
- Conducted 1 day training progamme on Task Management & Statistical Reporting using Analou Software on 25th July 2013
- Conducted 1-week training programme on LINUX and Mail Server from 12th September 2013 to 18th September 2013
- Conducted 1 day Orientation programme for Technical Personnel on Moodle on 5th December 2013
- Conducted 1 day Workshop for faculty of affiliated colleges on “E-learning using A-View” on 11th December 2013
- Assist various departments of the University in computerizing their activities.
- Consultancy/Contractual work relating to use of computer facilities or developing software, e-governance, networking, selection of IT staff, etc.
- Provided on site ICT support for various events conducted by the University and other government agencies:
- International Mathematics Conference CIMPA during 2010
- South Zone Vice-Chancellors Conference.
- Pondicherry Union Territory Police Officers Meet (connecting senior officers in Puducherry, Karaikal, Mahe and Yanam) during April 20-21, 2009
- Web Services
- Internet Services
- e-mail services
- Video Conferencing / Live Webcasts
- VoIP Intercom
- Electronic Surveillance
- Biometric Attendance System
- Complaints Management
- Online Application and Computer Based Testing Methods Entrance Exam
- Online Admissions to PG Programs
- Social Media
The following Workshops/Training are conducted by the Computer Centre regularly. Some of them are:
Sl.No Name of the Event Duration 1 Workshop on Mobile Applications Development using Android – A Practical Approach 1 day 2 Orientation Programme on E-Learning using Moodle 1 day 3 Workshop on E-Learning using A-VIEW 1 day 4 National Workshop on Network Tools & Open Source (WONTOS 2012) 1 week 5 Training Programme on Computer Operations to Group ‘D’ Employees 1 month 6 Training Programme – Electrical Engineering Management System 1 day 7 Short Term Training on Computers for Neighboring Villages’ Women 1 month
Events conducted through Online / NKN
S.No Name of the Event 1 Video Conference with the Directors / Vice-Chancellors of all Centrally Funded Institutions of Dept. of Higher Education 2 President’s Address to the Students & Faculty members of Central Universities/ Institutions through Video conferencing using National Knowledge Network (NKN) 3 First meeting of the Advisory Committee of Pondicherry University Renewable Energy & Sustainability Cell (PURE&SC)
by G. Poyyamoli, Associate Professor, Dept. of Ecology & Environmental Sciences
4 Vice-Chancellor’s Interaction Programme with MHRD 5 Electoral Reforms in India by Shri. Navin B. Chawla, Former Chief Election Commissioner of India 6 Online Inauguration of Special Training Programme at Karaikal Campus of Pondicherry University 7 President’s Address through Video Conferencing to Faculty Members & Scholars.Students of All Central Universities through NKN 8 Interaction with Mr. Mani Shankar Aiyar – South Asia Foundation (SAF) Chairperson 9 Join the Conversation with Mr. Sam Pitroda, Adviser to the Prime Minister & Chairman, National Innovation Council and Ms. Nandita Das, eminent Film Director and Actor through NKN 10 Finance Committee Meeting with Mr. A.K Singh, MHRD 11 23rd Convocation Speech by His Excellency Honorable Shri. Pranab Mukherjee, President of India
Services rendered by the Computer Centre are listed below :
- Proxy Services – Only eligible Users can avail authentication to access Proxy 13.
- e-mail Services – Provided to the Faculty, Officers and Research Scholars
Interested and eligbile users are to FIRST Register and then make a request to avail the above facilities/services
Instructions to Register
- Click New User
- Enter University ID Number (issued by Library)
- Enter valid e-mail ID (furnished for Library ID card issue)
( Forgot e-mail ID? Click Here)
4. Then password will be sent to the e-mail ID furnished
- Now login with the Password
- Choose the Service ( Proxy or e-mail )
Working Days – 9:00 AM to 5.30 PM
Holidays – 10.00 AM to 5.00 PM
Intercom : +91-413-2654-247/248